Monday 13 January 2014

The Conventions of...

During the pitch it was suggested that I do Culture perception, Unwritten rules of society and etiquette as the three of them are pretty much the same. It was also suggested that I look into dining etiquette and the major differences between how people behave at the dinner table and what is considered rude in one country is polite in another.

Focusing on dining in different cultures these are a few examples I found of the differences in some countries.


While I was doing my research I came accross some of the craziest laws around the world and I found a few interesting things that I think might actually work better than finding the differences in dining in various cultures. Some of the laws are really funny and finding 10 interesting and funny crazy laws will be a lot easier, also to be honest researching dining etiquette is rather boring and very difficult finding some of the diffrences.
I found this book "The Law is an Ass" by Richard Happer that has 250 of the worlds craziest laws and I will be looking through it to see if there is anything in there that I can use as my video infographic.

Some of the examples of the laws I found are as follows;
  • According to the brilliantly named ‘The Outer Space Act 1986’, the Secretary of State is permitted to use ‘reasonable force’ to prevent an alien invasion of the UK – as long as the aliens don’t possess a licence to invade. In which case, they can operate their ‘space objects’ in perfect legality. This is the sort of law that truly made Britain great.
  • In Denmark, you legally have to check under your car for children who may be sleeping there before you start the engine. But don’t panic too much if you forget and get thrown in jail for running over some catnapping kids – in Denmark it is not against the law to escape from prison.
  • If you fancy a spot of eternal life, forget the Holy Grail: just go and live in the remote Arctic town of Longyearbyen, where dying is against the law. Actually, this is because it was found that bodies didn’t decompose in the permafrost. The graveyard stopped accepting newcomers 70 years ago; so if you fall gravely ill there now, you will be hastily dispatched by plane to the mainland, where you can end your days without getting arrested.

No comments:

Post a Comment